The options available to vapers when it comes to purchasing e-liquid for their electronic cigarettes weren’t so many years ago. You generally had two choices, either Cigalike cartridges or e-liquids – mostly high-PG products if you were not into modding. Nowadays, though, you have endless choices. PG and VG are available, as are nicotine salts and freebase, and there is an incredible range of flavors to choose from. Vaping is a truly personalized experience, thanks in large part to this variety, as you can design it to fit your own preferences. It can also make the process of purchasing e-juice confusing for those who are just getting into it. Let’s examine the different types of vape juice and discover how you can choose the right one for you.
Selecting the nicotine strength that is right for you
No matter what type of vape device you use, you need to choose the right nicotine strength. Choosing a nicotine level that’s too low can make vaping less satisfying and less likely to help you quit smoking. Juices with excessive nicotine can cause unpleasant symptoms such as nausea, headaches, and dizziness (no nausea, no heart rate increase). You can follow this simple rule:
- Those who smoke 15-20 cigarettes per day: E-liquids with higher nicotine levels (up to 2% or more) are recommended for smokers who are heavier. This will give you a better chance of really satisfying your cravings, even if you don’t smoke.
- For those who smoke less or prefer lighter cigarettes: The nicotine content of e-juice can be lower (0.6% to 1.2% for lighter smokers). Starting low and increasing if necessary is a good idea in general.
It is always possible to switch from one nicotine level to another if the first one you try isn’t working for you.
Several points to consider
There are many factors to consider and other choices to make after you’ve decided on a nicotine strength. Here are a few suggestions.
- A throat-hitting e-liquid. Many people enjoy the harshness at the back of the throat when they smoke cigarettes – if you’re used to it. You may miss the throat hit when you quit smoking, so buy an e-juice with a higher PG content.
- Smoother throat hit with e-liquid. If the harsh throat hit turns you off, there are a couple of alternatives. It is best to choose nicotine salts to reduce the throat hit, which will also deliver nicotine faster. The second option is to select a high-VG juice, although these are typically used by vapers with more advanced gear and looking for larger, voluminous clouds of vapour.
- Cigarette liquid for cigalikes. Two options are available if you want the experience of vaping to be more similar to that of smoking a traditional cigarette. If you choose a liquid with a higher PG content you’ll get a throat hit that’s similar to a cigarette’s. For a more realistic smoking experience, you can also choose a pod system, such as the ePuffer XPOD, hexa pods, or voom pods, which blend nicotine salts with regular e-juice.