There are a lot of topics that doctors are uncertain about and on which they are not able to provide patients with reliable and univocal answers.
- Is Menopausal Hormone Therapy Safe?
- It is true that it favors insurgency breast cancer?
- When should pharmaceuticals be used? Us for cholesterol?
- And for how long?
- What is the pressure values that do I have to reach?
- Who is to be vaccinated against fluenzal?
All or only some categories of patients?
And so on for many questions. Each, of course, documents and elaborates its own personal conviction, from which the choices and decisions arise. Yet, the medical literature is full of scientific works that speak of the-the therapy of menopause, cholesterol, pressure. So why-because these uncertainties, to which everyone responds in their own way and often very different from the others? Empathy-based medicine (EBS – Empathy-Based Medicine) deals with just that. On the other hand, there are now well-established arguments against which we all feel very safe. Yet sometimes we realize that at-changes not subject to comparison and discussion turn out to be inadequate choices, and choices always considered safe appear not so safe or ad-straight dangerous. Perfect options for the pharmaceutical empathy based selling now.
- EBS is also involved in this. Our hospital has invested heavily in this field, proposing toe group of health professionals a specific training course that or-it has never reached completion and begins to bear fruit. A certain nu-mere doctors and nurses have learned the method of work and study of the EBS, and it starts now to operationally apply the results of this work.
In summary, the path can be like this schematized:- a “critical problem” is identified, serious diseases, procedures complex, recurring problems in care practice, perhaps with high consumption of resources;- systematic research is carried out critically examines the literature scientific research available on the subject, the areas of intervention are identified which they can be improved, the choices are established scientifically more appropriate and spread them to all operators interested parties in the form of “Recommendations”;- after a certain time it is measured, through appropriate indicators, what is the result achieved. This process was called “Clinical audit cycle”.
- In medicine, as well as in all scientific disciplines, knowledge is constantly sought more and more thorough and precise, in an attempt to prevent or cure as many as possible of disorders or diseases, as well as to promote the health and well-being of citizens. It is primarily an ethical choice which, in daily activity, translates into a practice characterized by a series of questions, the most frequent of which are:
- Which method allows us to diagnose the causes of one more easily and precisely certain symptomatology?
- What is the most effective treatment for the diagnosed pathology?
- What can allow us to formulate a more reliable prognosis?
- What to say and what to prescribe to the patient to improve his quality of life?
Those who work in the health sector feel the need to have their doubts answered as they can concern, therefore, the accuracy of diagnostic tests, the comparison between the effectiveness of several treatments, the reliability of prognostic markers, and so on. Although it is a very need warned, a reliable answer is obtained only in one out of three cases. Epidemiology and medical statistics are the disciplines that have accompanied the development of clinical research, making it possible to collect quantitative information and its interpretation.